Saturday, February 4, 2017

Humbled

It has been almost two and a half years since I have posted a blog, but it feels like only a blink of the eye. To all of my dedicated readers (OK . . . reader. Thanks Mom, I knew I could count on you!) it might seem like changing schools and positions  caused the drought in blog posts here. After all, work took (and still takes) an inordinate amount of my time. 

That's not the reason for my absence, though. The reality has more to do with the fact that I had nothing to say. Well, not only did I have nothing to say, I had come face to face with the fact that I was a complete and total fraud. That's right, a fraud. Here I am, writing a blog about raising kids to be faithful, and I had come to the realization that I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

What brought about this revelation? 

My daughter. My sweet, loving, and obedient little girl. She turned three years old, and she proceeded to molt her angelic outer skin, to reveal the dangerous creature within. Her feisty personality leveled my stern expectations. Her emotional outbreaks cracked my controlled temper. Her endless questioning eroded my will to answer.

Taking it a step further, she confounded every technique I'd honed to perfection while my son was in his toddler and preschool years. 

Yes, that's right. I learned the truth. I discovered that I wasn't a capable parent with something to share about raising faith-filled kids. I learned that my first child-- God bless him-- was . . . easy. 

God read my ramblings here on Blogger, saw that I needed humbling, and sent me a daughter.
--

In all seriousness, both my own children and the many thousands of children I've had the pleasure of working with over the last 19 years have taught me that no one knows it all. I have had the great blessing of being able to get advice and wisdom from my own parents/in-laws and the parents of my schools. We share many things in common-- we love our children, we want them to know that God loves them, and we don't always get the parenting thing right.

So I'm back, occasionally, to share with you the tidbits of wisdom I've been able to glean from my own experience and that of the many folks I have the pleasure of talking with on a daily basis in my work as a school principal. 

In the time between, know that I'm praying for our country and our world to put God at the forefront, enabling our children to grow to be faith-filled, responsible, and active believers!


Photo Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thelightningman/12190541595/in/photolist-jzeHiD-b2LJLc-gVErR9-qjh8QQ-ccML1w-9zqCqq-aYnohT-93S4UN-fQAX8X-894nt6-s6GxqQ-axKxrm-diH3jL-dVBeWC-97bCG6-jPjKmT-daxQEz-bp2dzo-rJ4QAG-dMS4WD-gHEzJz-bodsq4-eWUb2b-8snfyc-dermiu-rmWoGQ-dDaHgN-qsE4u6-qbeYsD-iEtPpK-hBD4Jq-qbduig-9znZCn-ipy8m9-auj18x-bxdzMk-834e5Y-9dtAFL-m7NcMz-dZzgLv-amL8F4-amL7T6-bwWjUB-auv1b6-9cEp33-dvTCWZ-jm2upx-dvTCFT-dVgsDK-idMDQC

No comments:

Post a Comment