Sunday, January 1, 2012

Leave Room for God's Resolutions


For I know well the plans I have in mind for you—oracle of the LORD—plans for your welfare and not for woe, so as to give you a future of hope. (Jer. 29:11)


How do you feel when you read these words? Take a moment to read them again, and imagine your Heavenly Father is speaking directly to you.


Did you hear it? He has a plan for you in this new year. Of course, God knows that this is the time of year when we all make plans for ourselves-- we resolve to be better husbands, better wives, better parents, better Catholics/Christians, healthier people, and so on.


What about leaving room for God's "resolutions" (plans) for you in 2012? Though none of us can know exactly what those resolutions are as we stand here on the first day of the new calendar year, one thing is overwhelmingly certain: we will not discover God's plans for us and for our families unless we leave room for Him to work.


So as you're writing out your list of resolutions for 2012, consider leaving #1 blank.  Let that empty space remind you of how you're leaving room for God's plans for you and your family to unfold during 2012. Let that empty space remind you to pray for God's resolutions to become clear to you, and to pray for His grace to embrace them in your life. Encourage your children to do the same.


Need some motivation to get started?  The quote from Jeremiah continues: When you call me, and come and pray to me, I will listen to you. When you look for me, you will find me. Yes, when you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me. (29: 12-14)


I ask that you pray for me and everyone who reads this-- for the strength to leave room for God's resolutions this year. Be assured of my prayers for you!


As always, I welcome your comments, thoughts, and reflections.

2 comments:

  1. Very Nice!!! So am I allowed to have my high school students read this and reply to it?

    How would I be able to start one of these?

    Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your students are more than welcome, friend! I'll send you an email with some info on Blogger. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete